Category: Landscape photography
A collection of photos, articles and tutorials all about Iceland landscape photography. These photo tutorials include cameras, lenses, camera settings, composition, sharpness and tricks for getting great exposures. Even if you are highly experienced and know all the techniques, landscapes can really test the key technical aspects of photography.
Composition in landscape photography is perhaps more critical than it is in other forms of photography. The chaos in Nature makes composition challenging in some scenes where the photographer has to restore some visual order. There are rules of composition and many of these rules break other rules of composition. There are tricks you can learn to help you see like an artist and these can help both with landscape composition and post-processing decisions.
Focus & Sharpness
Focus can be critical in the taking of a quality Landscape photograph. Viewers of the final print will be the ultimate judge of sharpness. Getting the balance between adequate Depth of field and a high quality aperture requires a bit of technical guidance. When you consider Depth of field in visual art, then aperture becomes the brush. Iceland landscapes have such a variety of textures that deserve good sharpness and some subjects that will need a manual focus, read more about intelligent focusing here.
Mastering exposure in Landscape photography will take every aspect of your photography to the next level. But landscape photography throws every exposure challenge at you. When the sky and the landscape have big exposure differences, it is good to know about filters and techniques to get the best out of the scene. From high dynamic scenes to low light situations with very long exposures, landscape photography in Iceland tests all your exposure skills. For advanced exposure control check out my Magic Cloth Technique in the guide to Long Exposure Photography.
Landscape photography articles
- Beginner's Guide
- Blog, blog, blog
- Cameras & Lenses
- Glacier Ice
- Iceland Blog
- Landscape photography
- Limited Edition
- Long exposure photography
- Magic Cloth Image Focus
- Magic Cloth Technique
- Night & Northern Lights
- Photography Tutorials
- Photos in Focus
- Processing Techniques
- The psychology of photography
- Video Projects
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Sign up to get regular updates of new tour dates, special offers, and last minute deals.
- Aluminum Print Panorama Photo - Vestrahorn Mountain Winter, Iceland by IcelandAuroraPhotos35.80 GBPThis collectable aluminium print is in panorama - wide aspect. The Mountain at Vestrahorn is best viewed from Stokksnes point in East Iceland. The beach at Stokksnes Point is a black sand beach with hundreds of huge grass tussocks. One of the tussocks became a feature in my composition because I liked the way […]
- Gullfoss Waterfall , Square Photo Print - Iceland Wall Art, Museum Grade Print by IcelandAuroraPhotos36.45 GBPThis stunning photo of the lower cascade at Gullfoss waterfall was taken on a very cold January morning after I had been out all night photographing night scenes. The place I stood to take this winter landscape photo was extremely dangerous. Every surface is coated with fresh ice from the constant spray. One slip […]
- Iceland Landscape Bolungarvik, Green Boulder Beach | Iceland Wall Art, Archival Matte Print by IcelandAuroraPhotos42.87 GBP24x36 inchesThe village of Bolungarvik is just behind me, but in front of me are thousands of miles of arctic wilderness.Museum-quality poster made on long-lasting matte (uncoated) archival paper.- Paper-weight: 250 gsm / 110 lb- Shipped in sturdy packaging protecting the posterPrinted and shipped on demand. No minimums.