Spend a day or 2 among the Vatnjökull Glacier Landscapes of Iceland. This Iceland Fly Drive puts you right in the heart of Iceland’s stunning scenery after a one hour flight. The South East Corner of Iceland is the richest part of Iceland for serious photography. The famous Vestrahorn Mountain is minutes away and Jokulsarlon is an hour drive. These Fly Drive Tours can be booked on the fly depending on availability. If you can arrange your trip at the last minute when there is a good weather forecast, you can really streamline your Fly Drive.
It is easy to connect your hire car to your flight to have your rental car waiting at Höfn Airport. This will put the most stunning part of Iceland within easy reach. All of this can be boked online fairly easily. This page will help you make your Iceland Fly Drive a reality.
Flying from Reykjavik Domestic Airport to Höfn in the morning is possible on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. A day return will give you 8 hours (7 hours on Fridays).
From the tiny airport at Höfn, Jökulsarlon Glacier Lagoon is just over an hour drive at a steady speed. You will have time for photography and Nature Activities at Jökulsarlon, such as easy ice caves in the Winter. In the Summer you can book an amphibious boat ride. You could include Fjallsarlon lagoon for a great Zodiac trip. Vestrahorn Mountain is 15 minutes away from the airport, so it is good to try and fit it in last if you have spare time.
Höfn í Hornafirði
Höfn is pronounced like an abrupt HUPn. The fishing town is home to 2,056 people. There three restaurants and a couple of hotel/guesthouses. The town has an interesting fishing dock with a mountain backdrop. There is an excellent swimming pool in the center with water-slides, hot-tubs and ice baths (as well as a steam room). There is a campsite in the town, but I would recommend the campsite at Raudaberg instead if you prefer peace and quiet. If you have a morning flight back to Reykjavik, I would recommend staying in Höfn í Hornafirði.
- Hornafjörður Airport – 1 hour flight from Reykjavik domestic airport
- Vestrahorn Mountain and Stokksnes – 15 minute drive from the airport
- Road-side photo stops with lakes and mountains
- Jokulsarlon Glacier Lagoon and Ice Beach – just over one hour drive from Hornafjörður Airport
- Fjallsarlon Gacier Lagoon – another glacier lagoon worth visiting
- Skaftafell National Park – Glacier hikes and hikes up to Svartifoss waterfall and view-points
Find Hotels Near Vestrahorn
15 minutes from Jokulsarlon
1 hour from Hofn Airport
30 minutes from Jokulsarlon
45 mins from Hofn Airport
With an overnight stay in Höfn or Hali, you can increase your chances of good photography with a lot more time at locations. In the winter you could photograph Northern Lights at Jökulsárlón lagoon, or Vesturhorn Mountain. You could choose your sunset and sunrise locations. Additionally, you could use the extra time to do an ice Cave adventure where you can hike to hard to reach ice caves.
If you have a couple of days, I would HIGHLY recommend flying out and driving back (or vice versa) because there are so many interesting photo locations along the south coast between Jökulsárlón and Seljalandsfoss waterfall.
- Description: Fly across South Iceland, Staying up all night photographing the Glacier lagoon at sunset, driving back along Iceland’s South Coast with Sunrise at Vik.
- Start: 18:45 Reykjavík Airport (1 hour flight)
- Finish: 06:00 Reykjavík Hotel
- Total 1 hour flying, 7 hours driving!
Winter Over Night
- Start: 08:55 Reykjavík Airport (1 hour flight)
- Finish: 20:00 Reykjavík Hotel
- Total 1 hour flying, 6-7 hours driving!
Ice Cave photo tour – Winter Only!!
Ice Cave Adventures
These hand selected Ice Cave adventures will take you to a remote ice cave away from the tourists. They require a level of fitness and good hiking boots. These ice cave tours are too long for a single day return flight. I would recommend an overnight stay at Hali to get best ice cave experience.
Some Nature Activities in the Höfn area.